Julia J.


“Hello Jemma”


I was drinking hot cocoa  when we heard the news. Even though it was March, winter still hadn’t passed yet. It was as cold as Christmas Day. We bolted to the car as fast as we could.
”I still cant believe it's a GIRL. Jalen said with disgust. “We’ve already got one too many.”
“Hey!” I yelled defensively.
 “Jalen.” Nana scolded (shooting him a killer glare.) “You love your sister, don't pretend like you don't.”
“All I’m asking for is a boy! Girls are poop.” he mumbled.
 “Your gonna marry a girl, so don’t even start.” I argued.
 “Oh, please.” Jalen answered.(Emphasizing on the PL.) “I’m not marrying anybody. Instead I’m getting a cat-”
          “Are you sure about that?” Grampi asked. “Jack would be really sad if you got a cat.” I smiled as I remembered Jack, Nana and Grampi’s dog. He was a black lab about 3 years old. Once he had once woken all of us up by barking at a chipmunk in the middle of the night. Jalen rolled his eyes and continued.
         “I’m gonna name my cat Mr. Ruffles, he’s gonna be potty trained……..” I groaned.
        “Enough of that already!” I yelled. But being Jalen, he didn’t stop. And for the rest of the car ride we were forced to listen to Jalen’s dream life, without any poopy girls.
           After what felt like 1 trillion hours we arrived.
 “Here we are kids, the hospital!” I pressed my face against the clear, car window. The chilled glass made my cheek numb.
  The hospital looked like a skyscraper! But then again, everything was big, exciting and interesting to a curious first grader.
       As we got out of the car, Grampi hugged me.
“You ok?” He asked pulling me into his packer-green winter coat.  “Remember, whatever happens, you’re still only second best.” I giggled and rolled my eyes. Grampi was chuckling quietly to himself. Although he could be annoying, he was a jokester!

 A Few Minutes Later                                                   

“WAP WAP WAP-BAP WAP!” Went Grampi’s fingers. He was drumming to a song that was probably popular back in “his day”.
          “Oh for crying out loud Jerry!” Nana sighed. “Please, for their sake stop!” Grampi just winked at me and kept on drumming’. Jalen was laughing so hard, he was shaking the elevator! “Jalen,” Nana scolded,”Don’t encourage him…” Then, miraculously, the song changed and Grampi stopped.
“So Buli,” He started. “How do you feel about being a Big sister?” As soon as he said those words, I smiled. I imagined playing soccer or watching  movies with my new sister! Sleeping together and always being by her side. For years I had been the smallest. No one to play with, no one to rule over. But now, I would be older. “Y’know it’s hard work.” Grampi said. “Everything’s different.”
          Jalen grunted. He looked so sullen. Like one of those sad, sad donkeys at the farm.
 “I’m still the oldest,” He said. He looked like he had been punched in the gut. All the color had drained from his face like a wet sponge being ringed. And I actually heard a bit of rejection in his voice, and I realized,
 “This must be hard for him.” He had always been the oldest and, he wanted a boy. But I don’t think anyone heard me. Nana rubbed his back.
           ”Of course you are. You’ll always be the oldest.” She said. “Julia’s just excited.” But the truth was, I was so much more than excited.  
                                   
                                          Later That Day...

            “C’mon! Nana, why can’t I see momma?” I whined.
            “It’s ok Julia. She’s just not ready. We can’t rush her….”
             “Please…. “ I begged. “Grampi, can I see momma?”
             “Hmmm?” He answered. “One moment Julia, I’m about to Win.” Oh my gosh. I thought, rolling my eyes. Sometimes Grampi made me want to explode!
     “Jerry, stop playing on your phone!” Nana said.  
                 “One moment.” Grampi repeated, holding up his finger.  
     “Jerry,” Nana steamed. “Jerry….” she said, getting angry now, “Put the phone away!”
     “YYYY YESSSSSS!” Grampi whisper-screamed. “I won I won I won!” Me, Nana and Jalen shared the same glance, “Who is this guy?”  
              
  A Little While Later...

The door opens, I see my mom, I yell, I am pulled into a hug. She smells like vaseline. I don't care. She’s my mom. My dad comes over,I hug him, smells like vaseline, don't care, repeat. “I missed you guys.” I say. “I really did.”
    “We missed you too.” Dad says. “But, you should be very happy because,” He points to mom who was holding a bundle of blankets the whole time. She smiles.
              “Say hello to Jemma.” She says. I walk over to the bundle and peer into her mushed up face.                                                                

“Hello Jemma.” I whisper.

         

No comments:

Post a Comment