Connor T.


First Home Run


We were playing Danbury in our first district game. The district tournament was in New Fairfield. The drive to the field had so many cool statues and artifacts, but it took a long 45 minutes to get there. It was a hot day with the weather in the 80s.  
As we arrived at the field the sun started to beat down on my neck.
“Let’s go wait for the rest of our team in the shade,’’ TJ said.
 10 minutes later everyone arrived and we went over to the batting cages for batting practice. When we were taking batting practice Will said to me, “I think you will hit your first home run today.”
“I really hope I do.” I replied.
 As he said that, I thought to myself could this really be the day I hit my first home run? I really hope I hit a home run today! Before the game I was not thinking about hitting a home run, I was only thinking about getting our team a win. As the game started I lead off and flew out to the left fielder. After that at bat I told myself do not get down,I will get more chances so be ready for when they come.
I came up again in the third inning with a guy on first and 1 out. We were losing 6-4. I knew we had to get a rally going to bring up our momentum. Tyler Fehey was pitching for the other team. The first pitch I let go by for strike 1. I bared deep, and on the next pitch I clobbered the ball over the wall.
“HOMERUN” the umpire declared!
“Nice hit” the coaches shouted.
As I ran the bases I was so excited,I almost missed
second base. I was thinking about what Will had said before the game. As I stomped on home plate everyone crowded around me.I then thought of the time when I hit my first inside the park home run and how happy I was.The best part of that was how  much joy I brought to my teammates. But this felt even better because I hit a ball over the wall.
“Nice hit!’’ TJ shouted.
 As I jogged back to the dugout, Lucas’s brother Kyle, TJ’s brother Jack, and Jesse’s brother Mickey came up to me and congratulated me with a high five. Everyone on our team was so happy that we had just came back and tied the game up. They also all said how good of a hit I just had. I was so excited and happy in the dugout. I then realized that we still have a long game ahead of us.   
My next and final plate appearance I hit a bomb that hit the wall. I sprinted in with a play at third. I dove head first and I got under the tag.
‘‘SAFE!”The umpire shouted.
It was a hustle triple!
“Nice hit again’’ coach Forte said to me.
 On the very next pitch, I scored on a pass ball. I then thought to myself we will win this game. But then it started to go downhill from there and  despite probably one of my best hitting games we ended up losing 9-7. After the game everyone came up to me and congratulated me.As they congratulated me I was so happy even know we lost the game because if I can do that once I can do it again.
 My dad then told me “I found the ball that you hit.’’
 “Where was it” I asked?
‘‘It was in the grass across the street.’’ My dad said.
          As my dad said that I thought to myself that I  just hit a ball over the fence and across the street.That was one of the best moments of my life because after my first at bat I never gave up!

No comments:

Post a Comment