Luke M.


The 24th


Darkness, that's all I saw. The darkness swallowed me up and made me feel small, but I wasn’t scared because there was nothing to fear. It was Christmas Eve,the most magical night of the year.


Quiet snores filled the house making a quiet humming noise. It was happy and peaceful in my house. My Aunt and Uncle and my baby cousin were sleeping over like they always do,and of course I was sleeping in my room with my awesome Uncle Jay. He was next to me on the blow up bed, everything thing seemed right in the world. I was ecstatic.


That was part of the reason I couldn’t sleep. But before I got up I thought back to the beginning and the middle of the christmas season,and I thought of all the people who tried to make me not believe in one of the nicest people in the world.


 And of course I was totally wide awake,just laying there waiting in my bed listening for the sound of sleigh bells to arrive in my ears.I was waiting for the familiar sound of the CLUMP, CLUMP, CLUMP, of Santa's boots,to hear the “ahhhh” after polishing off the milk,the crunch of the cookie’s in Santa’s mouth, I was just waiting to hear it.


Finally I couldn’t wait any longer, so I quietly got out of bed,trying to be as stealthy as I could. “Luh geh bah in beh” my Uncle mumbled, “okay” I whispered but I wasn’t going anywhere near my bed anytime soon. I crept out of my room but my foot cracked from being still for so long, and I thought I was going to wake my uncle, but he just turned over and kept sleeping peacefully. I tiptoed up the stairs like a stealth ninja, trying to steal a valuable jewel. One step after another I tiptoed. I slipped and almost fell but I caught the wooden railing one handedly and pulled myself back up.


When I got to the top of the stairs,I looked both ways,there was no sign of the jolly man anywhere. I looked at the giant digital clock that was built into my stove,and it read 3:52, “wow,are you kidding me,that's super early” I silently moaned to myself. In the corner of my eye something started to come into view. It was still pitch black and my eyes needed to adjust,but once they did WOW!,wow just kept on playing in my head like a broken record that just keeps on rewinding. WHAM! I took it all in,there were piles,truckloads,piles that looked like they needed helicopters to fly them in.


“Santa had been here” I whispered so quietly so that not even a mouse could here, “MAGIC” that was the only other word I could say,but I had  one wish, it was that all the people who didn’t believe year after year in Santa could see this. I wished that they could see the magic and the mystery of Santa and Christmas, the majesty of the piles of presents,I was at a total loss for words.



I quickly realized that I had to go back downstairs so that no one saw me, but before I did I walked over slowly to the fireplace and looked down, the milk was finished,the cookie’s had been devoured,the two carrots for each of the nine reindeer had been finished but I checked to make sure, 2 for Dasher,2 for Dancer, 2 for Prancer, 2 for Vixen, 2 for Comet, 2 for Cupid, 2 for Donner and 2 for Blitzen and of course, 2 for Rudolph.

“ZOOM” I raced back down stairs like a speeding formula 1 car, I made it halfway down the stairs,but I heard a faint meowing, “oh no GATO! I’m coming don’t worry” “rarrrrrrrr” the moaning got louder I couldn’t see anything, I started to panic “where was Oscar is he hurt,what if I wake anybody up”,finally I just stuck my hand out and felt around for something really furry, bang! Uh oh! Something crashed to the ground, OWW! I stepped on a Lego, finally I heard purring and meowing. I put my hand out,the fur just kept on coming,I scooped up Oscar and hugged him closely “I love you Oscar, Merry Christmas”.


I carried oscar into my bed again trying not to wake up my uncle, “where were you” my uncle asked, “I was going to the bathroom” “go back to sleep, hey what time is it?” “4:56”
“That is early” “not its not are you kidding me I’m not going back to sleep, did you see all the presents up there,there massive,giant,it's amazing”. By then I was jumping up and down,I was definitely not going back to sleep, “sorry jay jay but I’m going back up-stairs ‘cause I hear Milo and Poppy”.


As I walked upstairs I started to see the sunrise and it was super beautiful and I wished I had my ipad to take a picture so that I could remember this. But right away I knew I would remember this magical night and morning without a picture.


And the statement that I had made to my parents after my christmas pageant,in the parking lot was right: Christmas is the most magical and awesome time of the year,without a doubt. As I thought about this I heard the familiar stomping of my brother and sister,and I could tell they were just as excited as me,we ran into my mom and dad's bedroom “its christmas its christmas its christmas”we all shouted in unison. Instead, of my parents getting grumpy about us screaming and waking them up the were just as excited,they jumped out of bed with huge smiles on their faces just like us and all the other kids waking up to the MAGIC and WONDER of CHRISTMAS!

I looked back into the past and last night,and for some reason standing there in the dark on that night I had already knew that I was going to witness a lot of magic! Because it was Christmas morning,the most awesome and magical time in the entire world!

No comments:

Post a Comment