Kaete W.

                               
◆◆The First Time I Skied a Double Black Diamond◆◆

 It all started at Gore Mountain.“Come on Schnucksie. It’s easy, just don’t look down” said my mom.
I had never done this before, and since this was new I was totally petrified. “No! I’m too scared!!!!!!!!!” I yelled. That morning I was so excited about skiing and now I was scared. Oh Bummer.   
The view was pretty nice and it looked like a winter wonderland, but that was no excuse. It was really high. This is why I was scared. I was scared because A. I hate heights and B. when I was maybe 7 or maybe 8 I broke my collarbone skiing down a black diamond. (It was the face of the mountain.) It hurt so much, like a rattlesnake biting you on the shoulder.
I was scared of skiing down the face ever since that day and I only skied blue and green trails.     could I ski down a double black diamond? Then Linda, my mom’s best friend, talked to a Gore mountain aid. When this was over I would have a nice lunch and be glad that this was done with and behind me. Then I would do the trails that I would want to do. Just then I heard a voice interrupt my thoughts. 
“Hello?” said the voice who, 30 seconds ago, just talked to Linda.
“O-O-O-Oh Sorry. I was just thinking.” I stammered
“Oh well that's ok. I do it all the time. My name is Cindy. What is your name?”
“My.” I hesitated. I was nervous. “My name is Kaete.”  I said
“Oh well isn’t that a pretty name. How old are you?” she asked.
“9” I said wishing I was older and not needing any help. 
“Well That’s funny.” said Cindy as she chuckled and  looked thoughtfully.
“What’s so funny?” I asked curiously. 
“Well when I was about your age I did my first Double Black Diamond too. I was nervous, but I said to myself if I do it, then I will be proud of myself.”
As I was skiing I thought of something. When I was younger I was skiing down a blue, and while I was skiing I looked around at the trees and it was beautiful. It felt like heaven. That is what I thought about, and before I knew it I was half way down the mountain. 
“That’s kind of cool.” I said 
“Why don’t you ski behind me. Ok?” said Cindy.
“O-O-Ok.” I mumbled. “Now go right and left. Good. Follow me.” She said in a kind, gentle voice.
“I’m trying but it’s a little hard.” I replied admittedly.
“Come on Kaete. You’re almost down. You can do it. Good Job!” said my mom who was already at the bottom with Linda smiling.
“Shhhhhhh. I am trying to focus on my Zig-Zags. I need to focus.” I said trying not to sound mean.
“Ok” she said. 
Then Cindy piped up. “Now I want you to uncross your skis and go right.”
“I am trying. I’ve almost got it. Yes!” Then before I knew it I had reached the bottom of the mountain. Boy was I proud of myself. Proud with a capital P.
“Good Job Kaete! Here. I have a little prize for people who are brave and work with me.” Cindy pulled out a funky plastic bag. Inside were Benibo Key chains.
“Choose any one you like.”
“Can I have the snowy owl please?” she nodded and pulled it out.
 “Miss Cindy?” I asked. “Can I please have one for my sister?”
“Well… Ok. You can pick out one for your sister.” she said kindly.
“I think she will like the Penguin.” I put the penguin in my Backpack and the owl on my backpack. “What do you say?” said my mom
“Thank you. Bye”
“You’re Welcome.” said Cindy. I waved to her before skiing off. She waved back.
 And that is how I skied my first Double Black Diamond.

No comments:

Post a Comment